I was a baking fool today! I just love that kid of mine. I cleaned the entire house from top to bottom and spent 1.5 hours in the kitchen and Harper was a doll. I really don’t cook much, this is all very new to me. I want to learn how to cook and today I actually made 2 things that turned out right! Seven Layer Bars and Chocolate Chai Snickerdoodles.
I saw the recipe for the Chai cookies over at GeekBaker’s blog. Tara and I go way back, we “met” on CalorieKing yearrsss ago when we both had a few lbs to lose. That’s actually how I know Chelsea and Kath too, gotta love the internet. Tara always has some great recipes, but this one sounded really interesting to me b/c I love Chai tea.
Chocolate Chai Snickerdoodles
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon each: ground cinnamon, ginger and cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon each: ground allspice and white pepper (Like GeekBaker I did not have white pepper so I used a slightly lesser amount of black pepper.)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1. Stir together the sugar with all the spices in a small bowl; remove 1/2 cup to a pie plate on the side for dredging the cookies. Add cocoa to small bowl with sugar/spice mixture and stir to blend.
2. Beat butter in an electric mixer bowl until fluffy. Add the spiced cocoa mixture and beat until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla, then add flour and baking powder at low speed until combined.
3. Form 1-tablespoonful sized balls. Roll them in the reserved sugar mixture and arrange 2 inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees 12-15 minutes. Cool in the pan for a few minutes before transferring to a rack to cool.
Makes about 3 1/2 dozen.
Yum, these cookies are so good. They really do have a chai taste to them and they are not overly sweet. Definitely something different and something I will make again.
Next up I made 7 layer bars. I just snapped a recipe off of Allrecipes.com. Seriously could there be something worse for you? These are gooey, ooey, fatty, yummy bars. I had never used condensed milk before, sheesh, its like liquid sugar. These are one of the hubbs favorite.
7 layer bars – Ingredients
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/3 cups shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Place butter in 13 x 9 inch pan and melt in oven. Swirl to coat bottom and sides with butter.
- Spread crumbs evenly over bottom of pan. Layer chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and nuts over crumbs. Pour condensed milk over nuts. Sprinkle coconut over condensed milk.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool.
I feel my waistline expanding just looking at these pictures. You better have some milk handy if you are planning to dig into 7 layer bars. Excuse me while I go sleep of my sugar coma.